[tlug] Gigabit Internet connection

TLUG,

KDDI sent me a nice little flier offering me to upgrade to their 1Gb internet connection. I think I will, even though I know I probably won't notice too much a difference from my current 100Mb connection. Making the last mile go faster doesn't mean much if the rest of the internet isn't also faster.

The only reason I upgrade is so I have bragging rights over my father, who always has a faster and better computer than me, but can't compete with the internet speeds available in Tokyo. I've already far outpaced his ADSL connection, but I can't help but want to twist the knife with even more speed.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I can't quite figure out how it is that KDDI is offering 1Gb.

There is news about it, like this article, for example:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/151562/.html?tk=rss_news

But I haven't found any technical information. Is it just some different kind of compression over the same fibre optic cable as the 100Mb service? Is it different fibre? Is it some completely different metric?

Enquiring minds want to know. What's the difference that makes 1Gb possible?

Any information would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G