Re: [tlug] Can't write to 500GB USB Drive: It is ext3 [SOLVED]

Al, Curt, Stephen, jep200404,

Thank you all for responding.

I understand now that the difference between pen drives and SD cards and my current USB drive is the file system used. FAT16 and similar doesn't do permissions, ext3 does. This seems to be a lesson I learn over and over.

Also, I seem to have been wrong about needing to do the "chown" command every time I hot plug the device. It was hit and miss a couple of times, but seems to have settled down. I don't know if I was doing something different, but unless it stops working again, I'll consider it a done deal for now.

Thanks for all the help and explanation.

-- Dave M G http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G