Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

On May 26, 2008, at 12:07 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Shin MICHIMUKO writes:

There is always the works of van Wolferen .... ;-)

I will try to read his article soon. I heard his name sometimes in the
past, but didn't read it yet. Thanks for the input.

He is a well-known "Japan basher" (most famously, /The Enigma of Japanese Power/, which was well-researched) and more recently "America basher" (/Sakoku by Other Means/, which is basically just a rant).

van Wolferen cared/cares enough about Japan to research and write and live in Japan. Since Japan's heyday in 80's most people don't even care enough about Japan to "bash" Japan- they're too caught up in whomever is seen as the next rising power- the BRICKs are popular of course.

van Wolferen still comes to Japan and speaks to packed audiences (I saw him speak a few months ago here in Tokyo) and the room was filled with older Japanese people.

- - -
gen at kanai dot net
http://kanai.net/weblog
AIM: genkanai