Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

Again, sorry for responding slowly.

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com>
Sent: 2008年05月21日 15:51:46

But, actually, it clearly does permit in the case of life or death
information if the copying is essential to communicate to interested
parties such as relatives.  As NHK's lawyers eventually admitted to
us.

Interesting. However, the situation was not changed so much, since the copyright in Japan is owned by the author completely, and you had to get the confirmation from the author, to copy the list of the dead people. Copyright law is describing clearly that the "news released for a fact" doesn't require the permission from the author, but many of Japanese (including layers) still wonder what information can be copied freely if you don't get the permission from the author.

BTW, Yamashita-san at Stanford and Araki-san in Quebec did take the
risk (and as the Olympic swimmers found out and I'm sure they were
aware, the Japanese courts don't hesitate to claim jurisdiction over
the actions of Japanese overseas).

Hm, it may be happened if a illegal copy is done by Japanese citizens.

> other. Anyway, I hope the situation will be improved in the future by > studying the effect of Confucius or the Japanese history...

There is always the works of van Wolferen .... ;-)

I will try to read his article soon. I heard his name sometimes in the past, but didn't read it yet. Thanks for the input.

Best Regards,
---Shin.
--
== Money is one of the minimum conditions to do anything, but... =======