Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
steven smith writes:

 > http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/17/business/worldbusiness/17engineers.html?ref=business

*chortle* I read that article in about 1978, I guess they just dusted
it off and did s/US/Japan/.

Agreed. Hamamatsu in 1979. I recall several long evenings of massive quantities of stuff on sticks, lubricated with shochu, listening our design team bucho bemoan the dearth of good Japanese engineers even then. In front of twelve Japanese and four roundeyes.

At that time, my employer hired its engineers almost exclusively from the original Satsuma and Choshu engineering schools -- in Kagoshima and Yamaguchi. There was a huge ongoing debate over whether to allow Korean, Chinese, and Taiwanese engineers (we were working on a tieup with an Indian company already) to work at the headquarters as it was feared that they'd copy everything and do it cheaper when they went home.

--
CL