[C&C] Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

David J Iannucci writes:

 > Much as I love Perl, I must admit that the concise beauty of the way
 > Ruby applies the string transformation without the side-effect takes
 > the cake :-)

Hm?  Perl uses the editable buffer model, Ruby has immutable strings,
Emacs provides both.  Dif'rent strokes.

All three versions are obnoxious programs, however, being "holier than
thou".  As Edward (almost) points out, the correct design is

(mapc (lambda (x)
        (mapc (lambda (y)
                (format "%s should learn to better understand %s\n" x y))
              nationalities)
        nationalities))

which is universally quantified, symmetric, reflexive, and transitive.
Ie, in Jeffersonian terms, "We hold these truths be be self-evident:
All men are created equal ...." :-)

Python 3 at least provides the product construction, I heard just
yesterday, but I don't know how to spell it yet.  I guess that doesn't
count, then.<wink>

 > I hope and suspect that Perl 6 will give us the ammo to fight back
 > on this front...

*snicker*  "Mine is shorter than yours!" you mean?  I'll give you that
any day!