Re: [tlug] Feisty Upgrade, USB issues and other oddities

Keith, Edward, Marcelo, Arwyn, Josh, TLUG,

Thank you all for offering advice and information.

One of the postings reminded me that there was most certainly a Gnome GUI for managing users and groups, so I looked for and found it in the "System->Administration" menu.

Two questions came up as a result of looking over my groups in this interface.

1. There is no "plugdev" group listed in the GUI. Does that mean the GUI can't see it for some reason, or that I don't have it. In the latter case, do I need to make one, or is it an indication that my system has some other way of handling what "plugdev" would do otherwise?

2. Browsing around the groups, I notice that I'm not listed as a member in almost any of them. My computer is a single user system, my initial instinct is that there should not be anything on my computer that I'm not allowed to do. Or am I held back from access to some groups for security or stability reasons? I also notice that "root", the only other user in my system, is not a member of any groups either.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn