[tlug] Feisty Upgrade, USB issues and other oddities

TLUG,

So, for amusements sake, I upgraded to Feisty Fawn. I was motivated by the fact that I had heard that Bluetooth support was a little better, and I want to get my wireless headphone/microphone set working.

I know it's beta, but it's only a week or so away from release, so I figured I'd be safe.

The upgrade went nice and smooth. I had the usual extra steps to get the latest Nvidia drivers, but that happens every time.

But now there's some weirdness, some of which I think is stuff left over from previous installs that I just never noticed before.

Basically, USB stuff doesn't seem to be auto-mounting. USB is working to some degree, because my Wacom tablet and printer seem to be all good. But that may be due to the fact that they are already plugged in when I boot up.

When I insert an SD card (the card reader is connected to internal USB), or plug in my USB Bluetooth device, there's no reaction that I can see.

I tried plugging my bluetooth device and seeing what dmesg reports:

[ 2909.757675] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[ 2909.948415] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

But, the little blue light that indicates it's transmitting/receiving doesn't come on.

Then I plug in an SD card and hit dmesg:
[ 3015.877747] SCSI device sdd: 1935360 512-byte hdwr sectors (991 MB)
[ 3015.878493] sdd: Write Protect is off
[ 3015.878497] sdd: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[ 3015.878499] sdd: assuming drive cache: write through
[ 3015.879491] SCSI device sdd: 1935360 512-byte hdwr sectors (991 MB)
[ 3015.880115] sdd: Write Protect is off
[ 3015.880118] sdd: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[ 3015.880120] sdd: assuming drive cache: write through
[ 3015.880289]  sdd: sdd1

But, there's no icon on the desktop.

I looked for a directory corresponding to the SD card in the /media directory, where it always has been before, but it's not there. Instead, I have a bunch of empty directories related to USB:
cdrom cdrom0 usb usb0 usb1 usb2 usb3 usb4 usb5 usb6 usb7

I don't know if they've always been there or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to diagnose my USB issues?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn