Re: [tlug] Xen advice, please

On 1/11/07, mcooper <mcooper@example.com> wrote:
On Jan 9, 2007, at 10:39 PM, Peter Van der Weeen wrote:

> I can understand that the VMWare people are telling everyone you
> should buy their expensive(!) software rather than using their free
> Server/Player version :-)

I guess I should be a little more suspicious of their insistence that
Server be used only for testing, not production. And VMWare is not
just expensive. It costs more than twice the price of the hardware
itself, even for good hardware.

I have not used the VMware ESX stuff so I cannot really comment on it being a good buy or not. However I use VMware workstation (about 200 US dollars) and VMware Server (for testing, not production). These coupled with the vmware player make for a very cost effective way to:

# Create and distribute VM appliances for internal testing.
# Create test server environments that mimic a production system.

I find having a smaller scale test environment of my production
servers on hand to be invaluable. I can break and restore things there
as much as I want before breaking the production servers :-)

Regards, Keith