Re: [tlug] Xen advice, please

Instead of waiting for the new machines to arrive to work out OS
upgrading and migrating issues, I was thinking that Xen would allow
me to migrate the systems ahead of time and then have a more flexible
installation when I am done.

Am I being unrealistic or unwise?

Sound like a good plan. I have used VMware to consolodate services from a bunch of machines onto one. You will need to ensure that the new server is up to the task of running the virtualised servers. You should get an idea by analysing the load on the current servers.

Is Xen ready for production use?

Not sure, but from reading some articles here and there it would appear that it is already in production use. I have Xen running on my laptop (sort of) and have not really tested/used it enough to tell you more.

Regards, Keith