[tlug] Xen advice, please

I would really love to get advice on Xen, particularly an opinion on whether or not I should try to use it here. Purchasing VMWare licenses is out of the question for us, and VMWare says that their free server product is not for production.

In January 2008, I will have to migrate the functionality of six old servers over to four new servers and send the four old servers back to the lease company. We use RHEL3 (five boxes) and RHEL4 (one box) right now.

Due to grant and accounting circumstances, I had to buy one server ahead of time, so I have this big, bad, empty server for a year before the migration has to happen. This will also be my first time doing such a migration, and I have no assistance or guidance... an educational experience I am looking forward to.

Since I have a 4GB RAM server with ample disk space right now, I was thinking I could install RHEL5 (which includes Xen) and then make virttual RHEL machines of each server that will have to be migrated. I would be able to take my time getting it right, and when the new machines come, I could just move the virtual machines over to the new boxes.

Instead of waiting for the new machines to arrive to work out OS upgrading and migrating issues, I was thinking that Xen would allow me to migrate the systems ahead of time and then have a more flexible installation when I am done.

Am I being unrealistic or unwise?

Is Xen ready for production use?

Are there any complications with post-catastrophy situations when using Xen? Does Xen complicate using backups to rebuild systems? I plan to use rsnapshot on the backup server to backup data every night, and I also want to have a bare-metal backup. I assume that having a bare metal backup copy of the host server include the VMs with no problems.

Before I spend time installing Xen and VMs, I would like to know if this is an advisable direction.

Micheal