Re: [tlug] Xen advice, please

On Jan 10, 2007, at 1:09 AM, Keith R Mannisto wrote:

In this thread, WINE seems to be missing.
Is there any reason to exclude WINE as an option?

WINE allows you to run SOME Windows apps on Linux, but I intend to have multiple linux installations running inside one server box on top of Linux running VMWare server or Xen.

Wine seems to be an emulator (though they say it isn't) that fools a Windows app into thinking it is running in Windows.

VMWare and Parallels (with which I do have some experience) literally create a virtual machine for each installation. The installation of the hosted OS begins with a BIOS screen and goes through booting from CD, etc. It is just like having a separate machine, but it exists within the host OS. The OS being installed in the Virtual Machine never knows the difference. The virtualization software provides a virtual set of hardware, so that a Windows virtual machine is using an ethernet card that matches a common NIC driver but doesn't physically exist.

Parallels on iMac with 2GB of RAM (1GB for MacOS and 1GB for WinXP) runs Windows XP faster than the new 1GB RAM Dells we just bought.

The only thing keeping me from throwing out all my old hardware in favor of a MacBook Pro with 3GB RAM and Parallels to run MacOS, WinXP JP, and RedHat with 1GB RAM each is a lack of 420,000 yen.

Micheal