Re: [tlug] Is having no "iptables" bad? [SOLVED]

Evan, Stephen,

Thank you for your advice.

On my next kernel upgrade, I will mark it with a revision number. Thanks for the tip.

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Dave> # CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES is not set And this is why. You need this and the specific filter modules that
depend on it, not just the Xtables option.
Ah! IP_NF_IPTABLES. I'm not sure why I didn't find it in the .config file when I searched for "iptables". Perhaps I accidentally had case sensitivity on?

Anyhow, armed with a proper name for the module, I hunted it down in xconfig, ran modules_install, "then modprobe ip_tables", and it looks like it worked.

I ran FireStarter, and it made no complaints, and shows the firewall as running. I take this to mean ip_tables is working.

Very cool. Now onto the SD card issue.

Thanks to everyone, especially Josh, Mauro, Stephen, Botond, Godwin, Evan, and Al, for all the help, advice, and education!

--
Dave M G