[tlug] Is having no "iptables" bad?

TLUG,

Apparently I'm going to go through some minor growing pains with my spiffy new kernel.

I just opened "Firestarter" (a firewall application, ICYDKA) to set some port rules, and it wouldn't start because it said:

"Failed to start the firewall
Your kernel does not support iptables.
Please check your network device settings and make sure your internet connection is active."

Well, my internet connection is active, so I used it to Google for what an iptable is. I found some tutorials, like this one:
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html#INTRODUCTION

And... um... it's complicated. Even a shorter description left me scratching my head: "The iptables software component uses the hooks provided by netfilter to implement the firewall framework."

Hooks? Say what?

Is this another module I need to enable in my kernel like Josh showed me how to do with my IVTV modules?

Do I really need them? Firestarter thinks I do, but should I believe it?

--
Dave M G