Re: [tlug] Is having no "iptables" bad?

On 2006/08/01@??:52, <Dave M G> wrote:
  > I just opened "Firestarter" (a firewall application, ICYDKA) to set some
  > port rules, and it wouldn't start because it said:
  >
  > "Failed to start the firewall
  > Your kernel does not support iptables.
  > Please check your network device settings and make sure your internet
  > connection is active."
  >
  > Is this another module I need to enable in my kernel like Josh showed me
  > how to do with my IVTV modules?
  >
  > Do I really need them? Firestarter thinks I do, but should I believe it?

Dave,

I found that the best way to learn is by trying and failing. I know,
it takes longer, but believe me you need to experiment to figure things out.
So if "Firestarter" said you need to have "iptables", just go ahead and
try it then you'll  figure out if "true or not", by trying one setting,
then another and another one, until you get the right one. In the process
you'll learn MANY THINGS, because you were forced to go through other
great learning steps.

Yes, iptables have to be enabled in your kernel but provably you can't
compile it as a module but a built-in feature. If you "make menuconfig"
(or whatever config you like) on you kernel source directory you look
around you'll find a "Networking Options" and a "Network packet
filtering" menu. USE THE HELP provided as it is very helpful.

Compile those options, read the docs (provably
under /usr/src/linux/Documentation) and try then try again, and again ..

Have fun,

//mauro//