Re: [tlug] Is having no "iptables" bad?

On 02/08/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

The thing is that I don't see how I'm supposed to know what modules I
should need. Like, how was I ever going to guess that ip_tables would be
an issue? How can I know what the next issue will be?

See B0ti's answer to this question, then think about what Mauro posted earlier.

The best way to "know" is exactly what you are doing: iterations of
trying something, running into a problem, solving that problem,
running into another problem, and so on.

A year passes, and all of a sudden, you have a pretty good base of
knowledge. This is pretty much how most of us on this list have
learned Linux.

I remember you saying that you have a limited amount of time to
wrestle with the OS, and you want to spend more of your time working
on your actual work. That is fine; just pick your battles. Try to deal
with one (small) issue at a time, and decide when to postpone the next
issue.

I personally think you are going about things the right way, and I
think the rest of the list must agree. The fact that people like B0ti,
Steve, Godwin, and Mauro are replying to your posts is a pretty good
sign.

Happy hacking!
-Josh