Re: [tlug] Is having no "iptables" bad?

Botond, Godwin,

Thanks for continuing to help.

Botond said:

Downloading and building ubuntu's 2.6.17 might be a simpler
approach for Dave:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/devel/linux-source-2.6.17

That's a whole kernel package for Ubuntu, not just the .config file, right?

Just to be sure, in the instructions I followed previously*, where it said:
sudo wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.17.7.tar.bz2 && sudo tar -xvjf linux-2.6.17.7.tar.bz2

I would replace that with:
sudo wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux-source-2.6.17/linux-source-2.6.17_2.6.17-5.16.tar.gz && sudo tar -xvjf linux-source-2.6.17_2.6.17-5.16.tar.gz

Hmm... two things I notice here: this package is 2.6.17-5.16. That's a step back from the 2.6.17.7 I have now, right? Would that cause problems?

Also, this kernel package is in the "edgy" repository for Ubuntu. If I enable that repository, can I just download and install it with apt-get? And if so, would that be a good way to go? I'm not sure if I download the repository version and it installs automagically how I'd tweak things like IVTV and whatnot.

* http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217657
--
Dave M G