Re: [tlug] Is having no "iptables" bad?

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:05:00 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> I can't find an entry for ip_tables, or iptables anywhere in make
> xconfig. I tried opening .config and doing a search there.
AFAIK iptables is the userspace part, the in-kernel stuff is called
netfilter.
If things didn't change much in 2.6.17, you should find it under
Networking/Networking Support/TCP-IP/Network Packet filtering
or `grep NETFILTER /usr/src/linux/.config`

> Is there anything obviously wrong with that plan?
Yes. It's a waste of your time. I'm not saying you should have a module
for each usb host controller there is in the linux kernel. Not to mention
that some problems related to a missing module might be not that obvious.
The recommended way would be to take the .config from your distro
(ubuntu's kernel source) and alter that (i.e. optimize it for your
system).