Re: [tlug] I'm a glutton for punishment - Palm Pilot and Ubuntu Dapper LTS connectivity [SOLVED]

TLUG,

I *knew* this would happen. Just knew it.

No, I'm not going to complain about Bluetooth. No, it's that after working with my Bluetoogh connection for a little while, I've made progress in making my Palm sync... with USB.

While searching the web for Bluetooth/Palm/Linux connections, I came across the following article:
http://schweeb.wordpress.com/2005/11/22/linux-palm-sync/

In it I noticed he mentions that he specifically set the Palm speed to 115200. This is quite the opposite of other web sites which recommended slowing down the connection when it doesn't work.

So, I changed the Palm, and gnome-pilot wizard to use 115200 (and ttyUSB1, and a timeout of 50 seconds).

And it retrieved my Palm user name and created a profile. Now I have the little gnome-pilot daemon icon on my Gnome panel, and it's in black and white "ready" mode. As opposed to when it's red and black, indicating that it hasn't been set up yet.

Huh. Was it simply the speed all along? I'm sure I experimented with different speeds.

Well, I'm happy that I've finally made a little progress, and I'm not bummed that it occurred after getting the Bluetooth dongle, as it's a cheap and nifty little toy anyway.

After the initial success, I got all giddy and tried to sync using J-Pilot and Kpilot to see if they would work. I think trying different Palm systems kind of confused things, and I got some weird messages in /var/log/messages.

So I rebooted to clean things out. And when I came back up, I hit sync on my Palm, and as I write this it's busy syncing away and backing up all my stuff.

Wow.

From here I have to figure out how to install Palm software using gnome-pilot. I figure since gnome-pilot is playing nice I'll stick with it.

But, various learning issues aside, I think I can call this one solved. I do have Palm Pilot and Ubuntu Dapper connectivity.

Thank you to everyone, especially Godwin, Scott, Stephen, Jim, and Josh, for all the support and advice.

--
Dave M G