Re: [tlug] I'm a glutton for punishment - Palm Pilot and Ubuntu Dapper LTS connectivity

Stephen, Godwin, Jim,

Thank you guys for the explanations on USB connectivity.

I tested out what Godwin said and verified that it's the case with my Palm. By watching the output of tail -f /var/log/messages, I can see that the Palm links up to ttyUSB0 and ttyUSB1 when first plugged in. Then when I press hotsync, it disconnects, then reconnects.

The problem seems to be that an existing connection isn't good enough for any of the apps I'm using. So if I press the hotsync button before doing anything, the application (any of the Palm apps) waits forever for a signal that says the connection has started. It ignores the already existing signal.

On the other hand, if I initiate an application on the desktop site before pressing hotsync on the Palm, then the disconnect signal seems to tell the app that the Palm went away, and it doesn't pick up the reconnection that immediately follows. Pilot-xfer and j-pilot both seem to behave this way. Gnome-pilot seems to just wait indefinitely no matter what I do.

It seems that this information is rather key to the problems I'm having, and perhaps Scott as well. But I'm a little stuck as to how to take advantage of it. Surely Linux/Palm applications would be written to expect this behaviour. And if not, I'm not sure how I can circumvent their expectations to achieve connectivity.

I'm going to keep playing with it... well, I should be working, but I'm being obsessive compulsive at the moment. Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion about what I could do about this connect/disconnect problem, I'm all ears.

--
Dave M G