Re: [tlug] Perceiving Hostility . . . . . . . . . . . (was Re: Modprobe error)

TLUG,

Sorry for reacting a little defensively to Godwin's post.

But... Look guys, it's not like I'm new to mailing lists, net etiquette, or all those things. I'm as aware as anyone that emails don't convey tones and manners very well, and it's easy to mistake things as hostile when maybe they aren't.

The thing is, as this very topic now is about, it seems culturally embedded in "LUG" lists that when someone balks at certain advice for some reason, or if someone (me in this case) says "hey, that's not very nice", the response is "the problem is you, newbie." Whereas I think it's often the case that we just have different priorities. If "LUG" culture doesn't respect that, then maybe that's where the problem lies, not with every new member who thinks a little differently.

With regards to Godwin's statements, I've much appreciated his knowledgeable and patient advice. But that doesn't mean that I can't also have my feathers ruffled when he gets "snarky". One doesn't create license to do the other.

All I'm saying is: isn't communication as much a responsibility of the speaker as it is the listener?

--
Dave M G