Re: [tlug] Modprobe error

Hi Dave,

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 06:00:13 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> > I know that the latest two local roots are serious enough to upgrade but
> > otherwise I doubt that it is necessary to upgrade every time a new
> > package version comes out.
> >

> The thing is that this isn't something I do just out of habit or
> anything. If I don't go through the hassle of re-installing IVTV after a
> kernel upgrade, then it no longer works.
What I meant was the habit of upgrading your kernel, not ivtv.

> Sometimes there will be an icon in the top right corner saying I need to
> reboot because there are upgrades that require it.
Is this automatic? Sounds scary.

> > What does modinfo ivtv say?
> dave@example.com:~$ modinfo ivtv
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-686/ivtv/ivtv.ko
> author:         Kevin Thayer, Chris Kennedy, Hans Verkuil
> license:        GPL
> version:        0.4.6 (tagged release)
> vermagic:       2.6.15-26-686 SMP preempt 686 gcc-4.0

And what does modinfo say on a module bundled with the kernel? (e.g.
`modinfo floppy`)

Did you also update your kernel source package (and headers)? When the
binary kernel is upgraded, the ivtv source still gets built against the
old kernel sources if you didn't upgrade that too.

Good luck.