Re: [tlug] Modprobe error

Botond,

Thanks for responding.

I know that the latest two local roots are serious enough to upgrade but
otherwise I doubt that it is necessary to upgrade every time a new
package version comes out.

The thing is that this isn't something I do just out of habit or anything. If I don't go through the hassle of re-installing IVTV after a kernel upgrade, then it no longer works.

In fact, that's often how I tell there's been a kernel upgrade. Sometimes there will be an icon in the top right corner saying I need to reboot because there are upgrades that require it. So then I reboot, and then sometime later when I'm in the mood to watch TV, it doesn't work. And that's what prompts me to upgrade IVTV.

What does modinfo ivtv say?
The only thing out of the modinfo output that I understand is the "vermagic" line, which at least indicates that I've built it for the right kernel. Perhaps there's something else there that's enlightening?

dave@example.com:~$ modinfo ivtv
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-686/ivtv/ivtv.ko
author:         Kevin Thayer, Chris Kennedy, Hans Verkuil
license:        GPL
version:        0.4.6 (tagged release)
vermagic:       2.6.15-26-686 SMP preempt 686 gcc-4.0
depends:
alias:          pci:v00004444d00000803sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
alias:          pci:v00004444d00000016sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
srcversion:     2399A234873FAF000D017AA
parm:           newi2c:Use new I2C implementation
                        default is 1 (yes) (int)
parm:           max_dec_osd_buffers:Max Dec OSD Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 2 (int)
parm:           max_dec_vbi_buffers:Max Dec VBI Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 1 (int)
parm:           max_dec_yuv_buffers:Max Dec YUV Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 1 (int)
parm:           max_dec_mpg_buffers:Max Dec MPG Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 1 (int)
parm:           max_pcm_buffers:Max Enc PCM Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 16 (int)
parm:           max_vbi_buffers:Max Enc VBI Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 16 (int)
parm:           max_yuv_buffers:Max Enc YUV Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 32 (int)
parm:           max_mpg_buffers:Max Enc MPG Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 16 (int)
parm:           dec_osd_buffers:Dec OSD buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 1 (int)
parm:           dec_vbi_buffers:Dec VBI buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 1 (int)
parm:           dec_yuv_buffers:Dec YUV buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 1 (int)
parm:           dec_mpg_buffers:Dec MPG buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 1 (int)
parm:           pcm_buffers:Enc PCM buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 2 (int)
parm:           vbi_buffers:Enc VBI Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 2 (int)
parm:           yuv_buffers:Enc YUV Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 2 (int)
parm:           mpg_buffers:Enc MPG Buffers (in megs)
                       Default: 4 (int)
parm:           ivtv_first_minor:Set minor assigned to first card (int)
parm:           ivtv_dfw:Decoder firmware image
                       Default: v4l-cx2341x-dec.fw (charp)
parm:           ivtv_efw:Encoder firmware image
                       Default: v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw (charp)
parm: ivtv_yuv_threshold:If ivtv_yuv_mode is 2 (auto) then playback content as
               progressive if src height <= ivtv_yuvthreshold
                       Default: 480 (int)
parm:           ivtv_yuv_mode:Specify the yuv playback mode:
                       0 = interlaced
                       1 = progressive
                       2 = auto
                       Default: 0 (interlaced) (int)
parm:           ivtv_dynbuf:Specify using Dynamic Buffers: 0 = No, 1 = Yes,
                       Default: No (int)
parm: ivtv_std:Specify video standard: 1 = NTSC, 2 = PAL, 3 = SECAM,
                       Default: Autodetect (int)
parm:           ivtv_debug:Debug level (bitmask). Default: errors only
                       (ivtv_debug = 511 gives full debugging) (int)
parm:           autoload:automatically load i2c modules like tuner.o,
                       default is 1 (yes) (int)
parm: tda9887:Configure or disable tda9887 module. Use only if autodetection fails. -1 = disable, 0 = normal, 1 = no QSS (array of int) parm: cardtype:Only use this option if your card is not detected properly.
               Specify card type:
                       1 = WinTV PVR 250
                       2 = WinTV PVR 350
                       3 = AVerMedia M179
                       4 = YUAN MPG600/Kuroutoshikou iTVC16-STVLP
                       5 = YUAN MPG160/Kuroutoshikou iTVC15-STVLP
                       6 = WinTV PVR-150 or PVR-500
                       7 = YUAN PG600/DIAMONDMM PVR-550 (CX Falcon 2)
                       8 = Adaptec AVC-2410
                       9 = Adaptec AVC-2010
                       Default: Autodetect (array of int)
parm:           radio:Enable or disable the radio. Use only if autodetection
                       fails. 0 = disable, 1 = enable (array of bool)
parm:           tuner:Tuner type selection,
                       see tuner.h for values (array of int)
parm:           yuv_fixup:Toggles conversion of Hauppauge
                       Macroblock NV12 to NV12 (int)

--
Dave M G