Re: [tlug] Modprobe error

Botond,

Thank you for following up.
What I meant was the habit of upgrading your kernel, not ivtv.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you.

Is this automatic? Sounds scary.
Yes, it is automatic. And I can understand why some may recommend that I carefully review all updates before upgrading. And I also understand that for someone more expert in Linux that may seem But keep in mind that I am entirely unqualified to determine what is a good upgrade and what is bad.

To get more into it - it's an option I can set on the Ubuntu upgrade application to inform me of all updates, or automatically download and warn me before installing and all that. I used to have mine set to show me before it downloaded and installed anything. But when faced with the option of, for example, upgrading the kernel or not, well, why wouldn't I?

One could argue that my current problems with IVTV stem from the fact that I upgraded my kernel. But isn't that more of an IVTV problem than the kernels? I mean, I knew when I installed IVTV that it would be a clunky installation because of the lack of repository support (in other words, built from source). And also, for the last seven or so kernel upgrades since installing IVTV the rebuilding of IVTV has been annoying, but successful.

The end result of those two factors is that past evidence indicates that each kernel upgrade will require this annoying but workable installation with each kernel upgrade. How would I ever look at a new kernel and think it will be different this time without some really in-depth knowledge?

The thing is that I am never really going to be able to know that some upgrade that Ubuntu marks as "critical" isn't actually critical, because I don't understand Linux to that depth, and most likely never will. I am, and fully intend to be, an end-user. I want to drive the car, not build the engine. If the mechanic tells me the engine needs an upgrade, I'm not going to argue it every single time. Only when one mechanic's recommendation doesn't work as promised will I seek a second opinion.

So, long story short, I set the upgrades to be automatic for "critical" upgrades. I don't have the depth of Linux knowledge to make alternate decisions anyway.

And what does modinfo say on a module bundled with the kernel? (e.g.
`modinfo floppy`)
dave@example.com:~$ modinfo floppy
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-686/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.ko
author:         Alain L. Knaff
license:        GPL
alias:          block-major-2-*
vermagic:       2.6.15-26-686 SMP preempt 686 gcc-4.0
depends:
srcversion:     772641A2C2E4EA7E1A1348F
parm:           FLOPPY_DMA:int
parm:           FLOPPY_IRQ:int
parm:           floppy:charp

Did you also update your kernel source package (and headers)? When the
binary kernel is upgraded, the ivtv source still gets built against the
old kernel sources if you didn't upgrade that too.

Definitely. The first steps in the IVTV installation instructions are to upgrade the Linux source headers and package:
apt-get install linux-source-<kver> linux-headers-`uname -r`
(where <kver> is, in my case, 2.6.15)

--
Dave M G