Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

   Brett> Not /me/, but works for the 100's of thousands of people
   Brett> that receive our Japanese email.

*sigh*  The point is that I don't give a flying Mexican ... uh, I don't
care at all about the hundreds of thousands of people who receive your
mail.  Neither does Lyle.  (Well, Lyle is a kinder gentler kind of
guy, he may care a little in the abstract.

Me?  Kind?  No-no!  Not me!

So, for example, I think it would be a good idea for TLUG to encourage
UTF-8 mail.  Everybody here has a system that can handle it (although
it might involve changing MUAs), everybody here has (more or less)
interest in learning how to make it work.

I'm planning to use UTF-8 for everything *except* when I write to my Japanese friends, and when I do write to them, I'm grateful to Brett for pointing out something that - at this time - seems to carry the J-text through the wires better.

That said, I also see your point. Nevertheless, I think all of our positions on this are pretty much the same. It's just a matter of balancing the promotion of the better new encoding against the reality of having to get text through the wires today....

In any case, my overwhelming emotion right now is one of deep gratitude. In the messages that everyone took the time to write I feel I have a vastly better understanding of what's happening with the encoding and also the direction to head in from here. All the page work I do from here-out will be UTF-8 and I'll try to use UTF-8 e-mail as much as possible - it's not too difficult to switch over to 2022-JP when I'm sending a purely Japanese text message.

Thanks again!

Lyle

PS - Um... I was just about to send this when I noticed that the encoding is:
Western (ISO-8859-1)

Since I have my e-mail client set to UTF-8 for composing messages, I assume the 8859-1 is from the originating message? Was that me way back at the start of this thread? Oops.....