Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:04:49 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Brett> No, not on my client. Using UTF for for Japanese email
>     Brett> breaches RFCs, you are supposed to use 2022-JP.
>
> I don't think that's true, although I'm happy to be educated.
>
> However, in general RFCs don't specify policy about content, they
> specify wire formats.  RFC 1642 (IIRC) specifies _a_ format that MAY,
> be used for transmitting Japanese (namely ISO-2022-JP), but that
> doesn't mean you MUST NOT use UTF-8.  (See RFC 2119 for the meaning of
> the uppercased words.)

I already said that:
Brett> Now many people will tell you that it doesn't matter
Brett> and there may be good reason to use it (eg mixing
Brett> Japanese with non-English languages), but if you are
Brett> sending Japanese text then you are risking that the
Brett> receiver can't read it.

> However, there's nothing wrong with finding out if your conversation
> partner drinks the same Kool-Aid you do, and then partying together.
> If you're in a hurry, you can do it backwards---serve the Kool-Aid,
> then change flavors if somebody has a bad trip.

I don't know what Kool-Aid is and I don't have the time to ask each of
our customers what flavour they prefer. However I do know that they can
read 2022-JP mail.

Brett

--
Brett Robson