Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:30:27 +0900
"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> Thanks! I think having switched the settings over to UTF-8 for my e-mail
> has also solved the bakemoji problem people were having with my e-mail.
> Just to test - does this display correctly?:
>
> 縺薙l縺ッ譌・譛ャ隱槭↑縺ョ縺倥c䰗

No, not on my client. Using UTF for for Japanese email breaches RFCs,
you are supposed to use 2022-JP. Now many people will tell you that it
doesn't matter and there may be good reason to use it (eg mixing
Japanese with non-English languages), but if you are sending Japanese
text then you are risking that the receiver can't read it.

Try sending Japanese UTF email to a mobile phone, not sure what will
happen.

Brett

--
Brett Robson