Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

    Brett> No, not on my client. Using UTF for for Japanese email
    Brett> breaches RFCs, you are supposed to use 2022-JP.

I don't think that's true, although I'm happy to be educated.

However, in general RFCs don't specify policy about content, they
specify wire formats.  RFC 1642 (IIRC) specifies _a_ format that MAY,
be used for transmitting Japanese (namely ISO-2022-JP), but that
doesn't mean you MUST NOT use UTF-8.  (See RFC 2119 for the meaning of
the uppercased words.)

    Brett> if you are sending Japanese text then you are risking that
    Brett> the receiver can't read it.

What else is new?  This is Japan, after all.

However, there's nothing wrong with finding out if your conversation
partner drinks the same Kool-Aid you do, and then partying together.
If you're in a hurry, you can do it backwards---serve the Kool-Aid,
then change flavors if somebody has a bad trip.