Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:50:47 +0900
Evan Monroig <evan.monroig@example.com> wrote:

> Why do you say so? Which RFC's does it break?
> (Brett I don't mean to attack you I was just really surprised by what
> you said ;))

Email is supposed to be sent in 7bit text (ie printable), UTF needs to
be MIME encoded.

I can't see Lyle's email as it was originally sent as this appears in
the header
	rcpt-mqugw.biglobe.ne.jp id jAO2U7ix029878
His original email was sent as MIME encoded UTF so that satisifies
RFC822(?). Then rcpt-mqugw.biglobe.ne.jp turned it into plain text
base64. Not sure if that is strictly adhering to the RFCs or not.

But RFC 1468 "Japanese Character Encoding for Internet Messages"
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1468.txt
says that Japanese text should be sent in 2022-JP encoding. So if you
don't use 2022-JP you run the risk of clients not being able to read it.
I intentionally use Becky which doesn't read UTF mail for checking
the encoding in emails being sent out from work.

Brett

--
Brett Robson
Systems Administrator