Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

On 11/24/05, Brett Robson <b-robson@example.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:30:27 +0900
> "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks! I think having switched the settings over to UTF-8 for my e-mail
> > has also solved the bakemoji problem people were having with my e-mail.
> > Just to test - does this display correctly?:
>
> [mojibake]

Interestingly enough, Gmail displayed Lyle's email just fine, but
Brett's reply--which was written in English, but in ISO-2022-JP
encoding--was mojibake. I understand why--Gmail wants to use UTF-8 by
default, and since Lyle's email was UTF-8, it detected that and
rendered Brett's as mojibake. Luckily for Gmail users, when I clicked
on "More options" for Brett's mail, then "Message text garbled?",
Gmail popped up a new window which displayed Brett's mail properly (in
ISO-2022-JP, respecting the mail headers), but the Japanese portion of
Lyle's UTF-8 message (quoted by Brett) as mojibake.

This thread is getting downright educational. :)

Cheers,
Josh