Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

Josh Glover wrote:

Interestingly enough, Gmail displayed Lyle's email just fine, but
Brett's reply--which was written in English, but in ISO-2022-JP
encoding--was mojibake. I understand why--Gmail wants to use UTF-8 by
default, and since Lyle's email was UTF-8, it detected that and
rendered Brett's as mojibake. Luckily for Gmail users, when I clicked
on "More options" for Brett's mail, then "Message text garbled?",
Gmail popped up a new window which displayed Brett's mail properly (in
ISO-2022-JP, respecting the mail headers), but the Japanese portion of
Lyle's UTF-8 message (quoted by Brett) as mojibake.
Oh boy... so the English can turn to bakemoji when sent with 2022-JP? I guess I'll have to manually switch back and forth between UTF-8 and 2022-JP depending on who I'm writing to and will not be able to mix English and Japanese in the same e-mail if I hope for all text to be readable by all recipients. This doesn't feel as good as how I felt thinking that UTF-8 was going to work for everything, but so long as there's some way to get text though the wires, I can live with it.

Just to repeat the last test:

日本橋で会いましょう!

- which is in UTF-8 this time - with the last message going out in 2022-JP.

Lyle

PS - I do get a warning message when sending via UTF-8 - as follows:

"The message you composed contains characters not found in the selected Character Encoding. While you can choose a different Character Encoding, it is usually safe to use Unicode for mail. To send or save it as Unicode (UTF-8), click OK. To return to the Composer window where you can choose a different Character Encoding, click Cancel."