Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

On 11/24/05, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> Oh boy... so the English can turn to bakemoji when sent with 2022-JP? I
> guess I'll have to manually switch back and forth between UTF-8 and
> 2022-JP depending on who I'm writing to and will not be able to mix
> English and Japanese in the same e-mail if I hope for all text to be
> readable by all recipients. This doesn't feel as good as how I felt
> thinking that UTF-8 was going to work for everything, but so long as
> there's some way to get text though the wires, I can live with it.

No, you *can* mix English and Japanese in both UTF-8 and ISO-2022-JP.
You just cannot mix English, Japanese, *and* Bulgarian in ISO-2022-JP;
you can in UTF-8.

Whether UTF-8 breaks RFCs is largely a moot point, as many MUAs
routinely ignore RFCs or implement only the bits that are convenient.
Brett's main point is that if you send UTF-8 email to a keitai, it may
not work even if it is correctly MIME-encoded. Indeed, it does not
work with my AU keitai.

-Josh