Re: [tlug] DD floppies

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> floppies, they're purely magnetic, so that's not the case.  Just
> reformat HD disks for whatever old machine you need the disks for.
> Obviously this only works in one direction - you can't use DD disks as
> HD but you can use HD disks as DD.

That's obvious but not necessarily true. Just as you can get an extra
2-3 exposures out of a roll of 35mm film, you can often format a floppy
for extra capacity. Back in the day I used a program called fdutils to
format some regular floppies to that weird old NEC format, which I
believe was 1.6M instead of the usual 1.44. The documentation said, if
memory serves, you could go as high as 2.8M (if you liked to live
dangerously). Whether you can do the same with DD floppies, I have no idea.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA