Re: [tlug] DD floppies

Brett Robson wrote:

Seriously I need a supply of DD floppies. Does anyone know where I can
get some?
Considering how obscure DD floppies are, it would be prudent to avoid unnecessary abbreviation. DD means different things to different people.
???

lso, you forgot to mention other properties of the floppies you want. I.e., you forgot to mention physical size (inches/mm), how many sides you want, and whether you need hard or soft sectors.
Good point

I need 3 1/2 inch, 2DD discs.
As someone mentioned, I think that "dime-a-dozen" HD disks work fine. I had forgotten, but when I read that, I just remembered that I discovered with my old Ricoh word processor (a *very* stupid purchase in about 1988 when I could have bought a computer!) that it worked fine with HD disks. So I think there is absolutely no need for the old DD type. With MO disks, there is a *mechanical* difference on the disks that prevents one type from being reformatted as another type, but with floppies, they're purely magnetic, so that's not the case. Just reformat HD disks for whatever old machine you need the disks for. Obviously this only works in one direction - you can't use DD disks as HD but you can use HD disks as DD.

Lyle

PS - I didn't have any trouble understanding what you meant the first time....