Re: [tlug] DD floppies

Brett Robson wrote:

[LHS] Why do you need them? For important data trapped on an old word processor or something?

It's for a midi filer I picked up second hand, the new ones are 40,000
yen. It records and play midi files from/to disc to/from midi cable. In my
case I record my music using music software on a PC, save the bass and
drum parts to floppy. Then when I play "live" the midi player sends the
data to a small drum machine which plays bass and drums, giving me some
backing tracks while I play guitar and my friend sings. I could have a
complete orchrestra playing but that is too pre-recorded. Audiences tend
to accept bass and drums, but phatom violins and saxophones are a bit
much.

Does it have the capability to format disks on its own? Back when I used DD disks with that Ricoh word processor, I don't think any of them were formatted to begin with - the first I remember seeing pre-formatted disks with with HD disks. I have no idea, but I would imagine it would have that capability if it were made at a time when the disks it was designed to use weren't sold pre-formatted. That's purely speculative, but......

Lyle