Re: [tlug] Linux Laptop

On 月, 2005-08-29 at 09:18 -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
> > since I have my control key mapped to the *correct* place (to the
> key marked
> > Caps Lock :-)
>
> That is how you can detect a *real* Unix guy from the old school: he
> bitches about where IBM decided to put the Control key! :) Sadly, I am
> too young to have cut my teeth on teletypes and too poor to have cut
> my teeth on Sun workstations!

Teletypes? No, the control key was in its ``correct'' place on the
original IBM-PC keyboard (and on that great Northstar keyboard). In
addition, the function keys (10 of them) were in two vertical columns on
the far left side of the keyboard. It made the Shift- Ctrl- and Alt-
function key combinations that were extensively used in WordPerfect 4
possible with one hand. Aahhh. Takes me back about 20 years.
--
Stuart Luppescu -=-=- s-luppescu <AT> uchicago <DOT> edu
CCSR at U of C ,.;-*^*-;.,  www.consortium-chicago.org