Re: [tlug] Linux Laptop

> So.. I was thinking about picking up a 2nd hand laptop on the auctions
> and wanted to know if anyone could suggest a certain model or maker
> that is well suited to linux.

You should know that laptops are still much more "touchy" than desktops
when it comes to Linux.  Expect a certain amount of trouble, but not so
much that it's insurmountable with some effort.

I've been running SuSE on a couple IBM Thinkpads for a while now, and
have been very happy.  SuSE 9.1 runs on my old Thinkpad 600X like a
charm (I've really gotta upgrade :-), and I've recently got a new T42 at
work that I'm running 9.3 Pro on.  The Thinkpads are reputed to be
perhaps the most Linux-friendly line of major-brand laptops, and so far
my experience bears that out.

I really like them all-around, and one thing that seems unique to them
is 3 buttons on the Trackpoint/trackpad! I usually use a mouse, but it's
nice to know that third button is there for when I'm "on the road" :-)

HTH,

Dave