Re: [tlug] MTA (was ...repetitive question...)

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 01:57:12PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> Jack Morgan (yojack@example.com) wrote:
>
> > Just because you can't reach a level of competency with Sendamil doesn't mean
> > it "sucks".
>
> That's a pretty arrogant thing to say.  Can you write Sendmail rule sets?
> No, I didn't think so.

Come on Jonathan, this has nothing to do with me. I'm not the person who is
complaining that it's too difficult to take the time to learn how to proprerly
configure Sendmail. As Dmytro pointed out. It ain't that hard.

> The sendmail.cf syntax is awful.  C'mon, how many other programs can
> you think of that use a config syntax so convoluted that you have
> to use m4 to generate the config file because it's so difficult to do
> by hand?
>
> Now go take a look at an Exim config file.  Then come back and
> tell us how great Sendmail is.

I never said Sendmail is great. I said there was nothing wrong with it.

> > In fact, I would speculate that most sysadmin/bofh on this list use sendmail.
>
> That's not because we're ncecessarily fans of sendmail, it's because most
> distros ship with sendmail as the default MTA and we're too lazy to switch
> while it's meeting our needs.  All my workstation(s) have to do is
> hand my local outgoing mail off to their upstream smarthost.  Incoming
> mail is all popped with fetchmail.
>
> Ask me a more relevant question: if I were setting out to build a
> mail system, would I build it around sendmail?  Answer: no way.
> Exim would be my first choice.  Postfix my second choice.  (Both
> are good, I'm just more familiar with Exim).  If I had to choose between
> Qmail and Sendmail it would be a tough call.  I don't think I need to
> explain why.

Thank you for proving my point that you don't use qmail.

> > I don't mean to be rude
>
> Then don't be.  That was a pretty uncalled-for thing to say
> to someone who is at least as competent as you are and probably
> more so.

I made that comment beacuse I didn't want someone to be offended by comment as I
didn't mean it to be offensive. I mearly wanted to point out that AFAICT no one
in tlug uses qmail, there is nothing wrong with sendmail, and one shouldn't
complain that an application "sucks" just beacuse it's difficult to set up.

Thanks to Sajjad for correcting view on qmail usage in tlug.

--
jack_morgan