Re: [tlug] maybe a repetitive question about distros

Pietro Zuco wrote:

>>>It will give you a good comprehensive coverage of HW and it is *very
>>>very* stable. It is not as *fat* as RH but just as functional. See
>>>http://www.freebsd.org
>>
>>Right. FreeBSD is absolutely *renowned* for its comprehensive hardware
>>support... *koff*
>

> This mean FreeBSD is a good alternative. But it's not exactly Linux, and I
> love Linux although some problems I have with it.

I was being extremely sarcastic there. Sorry.

> I don't want to use
> windows with a Linux kernel. I only would like that the hardware
> configuration part, was more automated, because it is the more diffucult part
> of the configuration and settingup process, I think.

Hmm... these two statements seem to be a bit at odds. You want all of
your hardware automatically setup for you, but not the other
"automation" provided by RedDrake? I am not sure I understand what you
do not like.

> Why the dostros have to divide in Distros for Experts and Distros for really
> really newbie! I would like that exist a Distro for the user with medium
> knoledge!!!

I think that Redhat is actually good at this. I started out on it, and I
didn't know much about running a Unix box. So I used the Redhat tools to
help me out. Eventually, I gained some skills, usually when the Redhat
tools didn't do what I wanted, or I needed finer control. Now, I still
use Redhat, amongst other distros of Linux, as well as BSD and Solaris,
and I certainly leave the Redhat tools alone, no longer needing their
"help". So Redhat supported my transition from newbie to cluebie very well.

Again, just because Redhat can and wants to hold your hand, you do not
have to let it. Ultimately, you must take the chore of learning Unix
into your own hands, so a good distro (IMO) is one that allows you to
take more and more responsibility as you can handle it.

> So the conclution is:
>
> 1. Use Debian and try to have time to read howtos and a lot of
> documentation to setup all hardware.
>
> 2. Use FreeBSD and let Linux appart.

These are both reasonable solutions, though I like NetBSD better than
Free. However, you can do 1. with many more distros than Debian. Hell,
if you really want to get under the hood, give Gentoo or SourceMage
(formerly Sourcerer) a look.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator