Re: kinput and kterm SOLVED!!!!!

Martin Baehr wrote:

> > LANG=ja_JP gives me japanese error messages an the like, which I usually
> > don't want, so I just set LC_MESSAGES=en_US too.
>
> i think i need to kill LANG alltogether, it seems to override LC_*;

It should not. AFAIK only LC_ALL overrides the other settings.

> > However, as utf-8 encoding is not really support sufficiently, you can't
> > input german when using the japanese locale, or rather the japanese
> > character encoding...
> > (I know it is theoretically possible with iso-2022, but I have never
> > seen that actually working...)
>
> hmm, of all things unicode should have less problems with german than
> iso-2022.

Yes, if it were really usable. Main reasons I think it's not usable are
missing ncurses/slang utf8 support and the Linux Framebuffer Console not
supporting more than 512 characters... And then theres still the input
problem. I doubt canuum can output utf8.
BTW is there a canuum package for Debian out there somewhere ?

> interresting observation:
> jvim by default writes files in iso-2022-jp.
> vi 6 does not handle files in iso-2022-jp and writes euc-jp.
> jvim handles files in euc-jp though.

My guess is that vim always uses LC_CTYPE encoding whereas jvim tries to
be smart about the encoding used... OTOH I would not expect it to write
iso-2022-jp if LC_CTYPE is set to euc-jp...

> what programs do you use for converting?
> i found tcs in the debian archive.

For converting between japanese charsets I usually use nkf (network
kanji filter).

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
Hannover Fantreffen ML: mailto:fantreffen-request@example.comsubject=subscribe