Re: kinput and kterm SOLVED!!!!!

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 10:40:57AM +0200, Mike Fabian wrote:
> > > None of the locales you did set in /etc/locale.gen is on the list of
> > > locales which kterm tries. Put ja_JP.eucJP as well in /etc/locale.gen.
> > no, read again, adding the above locales DID fix the error.
> kterm behaves quite weird with setlocale. Internally, it tries to set
> all locales from the above list, no matter what locale you have set in
> your environment. [ ... ]
> But, depending on the version
> of your libc, this sometimes seems to cause problems. You don't see
> any error message because the kterm internal setlocale() call is
> successfull, but something still doesn't work right. That was what I
> suspected when you wrote:
> > kinput still doesn't work, but the errormessage is gone,
> I have observed exactly the behaviour you describe here with some
> versions of glibc.

ahh, sorry about that, such a situation is hard to guess :-)
well, in my case the test after generating the locales was done in a hurry,
so maybe i missed something...

> Anyway, I think kterms way of changing the localle internally
> behind the back of the user is a very weird, non-standard behaviour,
> therefore I patched this in the SuSE kterm rpm to use
>     setlocale(LC_CTYPE,"")
> instead, i.e. use the locale set in the environment. Then of course,
> you *must* start kterm with a Japanese locale otherwise XIM
> won't work.

well, yes, but in my situation i never want to change the locale,
just the input method. i would also like to input german
without using a german locale. why? because i prefer original text
over translations. therefore in general i see a need to seperate input
from output as far as the locale goes.

to assume that, because i want to input a language, also means,
that i want to read that language is wrong and shortsighted imho.

> But then kterm will also load Japanese app-defaults,
> as it should be. To get English menus, you have to use English
> app-defaults for kterm (preferably in your home directory).

but i do not manually want to change every application
to override a locale setting.

greetings, martin.
--
by the end of 2001 i'd like to find a new job anywhere in the world, doing
pike development and/or training and/or unix and roxen system administration.