Re: kinput and kterm

Martin Baehr <mbaehr@example.com> writes:

> hi,
>
> just recently i got introduced to the joys of japanese input.
> xemacs-21.4.4-mule-canna-wnn works fine in X
> but kterm does not.
> supposedly shift-space invokes the connection to kinput,
> but nothing happens. (i have a US keyboard)
>
> yes, kinput is running, the kterm manpage says, there would be an
> errormessage if it could not connect to kinput, but there is no error,
> so the problem must be getting shift-space to work.
>
> i assume that i may be need to change the X keymappings.
> but kterms docs are lacking at that point.

No, you probably don't need to do that. The keybinding
to start Japanese input is defined in

    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Kinput2

see the man-page of kinput2. If you didn't change the defaults,
it is Shift-Space.

Check the following things:

    - You must start kinput2 with LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP
      to make sure you can set LANG and LC_ALL to ja_JP.eucJP
      as well:

      LANG=ja_JP.eucJP LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &

    - kterm should be started with LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.eucJP well and
      XMODIFIERS should be set to "@example.com=kinput2":

      LANG=ja_JP.eucJP LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" kterm -xim &

some more information is on http://www.suse.de/~mfabian

> also, xemacs does not display japanese if run inside kterm,

Don't know, works fine for me.

> neither does jless.

Works fine for me as well. If you have neither LESSCHARSET nor
JLESSCHARSET set, 'jless' uses the information from your locale
to decide what charset to use. Type

    ~$ locale

to check. If you want to force a charset different from your
locale, set JLESSCHARSET to something (see 'man less' for the
possible values.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。