Re: kinput and kterm SOLVED!!!!!

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 01:04:27PM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> AFAIK the C locale supports only 7bit ascii.
> en_US supports iso-8859-1, so you can input german.

yeah, that was only a rethorical example.

> LANG=ja_JP gives me japanese error messages an the like, which I usually
> don't want, so I just set LC_MESSAGES=en_US too.

i think i need to kill LANG alltogether, it seems to override LC_*;

> However, as utf-8 encoding is not really support sufficiently, you can't
> input german when using the japanese locale, or rather the japanese
> character encoding...
> (I know it is theoretically possible with iso-2022, but I have never
> seen that actually working...)

hmm, of all things unicode should have less problems with german than
iso-2022.

in any case i am making continuous progress with japanese input,
this is really cool.

interresting observation:
jvim by default writes files in iso-2022-jp.
vi 6 does not handle files in iso-2022-jp and writes euc-jp.
jvim handles files in euc-jp though.

what programs do you use for converting?
i found tcs in the debian archive.

greetings, martin.
--
by the end of 2001 i'd like to find a new job anywhere in the world, doing
pike development and/or training and/or unix and roxen system administration.