Re: Pair programming [ was: Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

The only XP-ism that I outright reject is the lack of a "proper" spec...
..
I wonder what, once Curt has understood precisely what I *mean*, he
will flat-out disagree with from me. I suspect that the spec and PP
issues are the only true gulfs from his POV as well, but I am putting
words in his mouth. Curt?

It's not an entirely incorrect summary. But I think you're missing me on some different levels here.

For example, you talk about a "proper" spec., and me not having one. I
consider myself to have an excelent spec. on my projects, in fact much
better than yours. From what I understand about your specifications, you
can neither execute them nor have a computer compare the spec with the
system to see if they match. I do both.

XP proponents argue that other XP practices, such as refactoring
and creating tests before even writing the code, produces code that
doesn't need to be reviewed....

That seems to me to be quite a mischaracterization of XP. We like extensive code review, in the sense that a lot of eyes get on the code and a lot of feedback flows back. We just don't schedule separate times and meetings for this; as with many other things, such as design and testing, we do it in little bits continuously and contemporanously with everything else.

What probably throws many people about XP is that XP tends to look not
at a particular process, but at the effect that process is supposed to
have, and tries to get that effect in the most efficient way possible.
The idea that I don't have a specification is one example of that. The
idea that there's no design in XP, when in fact there is lots and lots
of design work going on all the time, is another.

cjs