Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

I can see now why we are on the opposite side of so many software
engineering issues. I am firmly in the Joel Camp on nearly everything. :)

Which may mean you agree with me in the end, for all I know. There was a big brou-ha-ha a while back in which Joel inveighed against XP, and used Project Aardvark as an example of how you should always do specifications, and it turned out that the "specification" was something I'd be happy to use as XP training material for the "don't do big specifications" part of the course.

"I'm agile but won't admit it," maybe.

I think in your case, you have a special situation: you are running
your own company, full of like-minded people, and you have the final
say over what happens.

Now, yes. But this was not developed in my company, this was developed through three or four other companies, and worked through with a fair number of programmers. And I've coached this since then in various other companies as well.

I've certainly had failures teaching this, but looking back, I can
identify enough colossal errors on my part that I'd be pretty hesitant
to lay the blame on a process that's made me and others three or four
times as productive and happy as I/we used to be.

Most of what you recommend is simply not applicable at a big company;
I might get fired outright for practising what you preach, and
rightfully so.

Sure. But "righfully" in the sense that you're in a social situation where producing the best possible system is not the goal. The stockholders are not interested in how good your product is; they're intersted in how much money they make. A profitable failure is better than a success that makes little money.

I really think the issue comes down to what Steve points out: the
XP-centric approach you use really does not scale to a) large teams...

Possibly not. And I'm not claiming it does scale to large teams. But do we care? You have to admit, even taking into account the best large-team successes (the IBM 360, the 747), most of the Good Stuff comes from small teams. And the large team successes are not at all reproducible: in 37 years, we have yet to come up with a better overall commercial airliner than the 747.

If you want a real success, use a small team, not a large one.

or b) programmers who are not in the top %1.

That I'm also going to disagree with. I've worked with a lot of junior developers, and in my experience, they excel when you bring them "in to the fold," as it were, rather than relegate them to "program to this specification."

cjs