Re: Pair programming [ was: Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Josh Glover wrote:

Code reviews at Amazon mean sending a request with our automated
review tool, which plugs into our Perforce repository. The reviewer
then uses a Greasemonkey script to make comments inline, which are
stored in S3. When the review is done, he sends an email back to the
requester, who reads his comments and makes changes as he sees fit.

Ouch. That seems much less efficient than just having the two developers sit down together, go over the code, and fix it.

XP has a hierarchy of communication efficiencies:

    high: being physically together
    medium: phone
    low: e-mail
    very low: reports and documentation

XP tries to run all communication at the highest level of efficiency
possible. That's why you see little e-mail, and almost no reports and
documentation, in most XP projects.

Now I don't know if the word "meeting" inspires as much dread in you as
it does me, but personally, it's not a word I particularly associate
with "productivity."

Meetings can be quite productive if you know how to run them correctly. I would be happy to teach you... ;-P

Well, true enough. I guess you could even consider pairing a meeting.

cjs