Re: Pair programming [ was: Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On 26/07/07, Nguyen Vu Hung <vu-hung@example.com> wrote:

>  From FOSS perspective, it is a kind of peer review. Pair programming
> IMO makes novice programmers
> learn from his senpai while his senpai get reviewed by the novice
> programmer. It makes the code less bug
> prone.
>
> This method also can bed applied to other steps of softwares development
> such as basic design, detail design,
> and test.

Sure. But what does pair programming solve that a formal review
process does not? My team does spec, design, and code reviews, and we
see lots of benefits from that.

Curt's contention seems to be that XP rolls spec, design, coding, and
testing all into the pair programming context (is this a fair
statement, Curt?), so XP can solve all these problems at once.

That sounds reasonable to me, but it seems that the cost in time is
much higher. I also think that spec, design, and testing should be
broken out from the coding process, as the required 考え方 is quite
different, and I am not sure that people can context-switch
effectively enough to represent that whilst pair programming.

Curt, if I have misunderstood you, please set me straight. :)

--
Cheers,
Josh