Re: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] Correct particle to use

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:53:55 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> > For example, I was taught to not split infinitives (snicker)...
>
> Oh hah hah.
>
> "To go boldly where no one has gone before..."

Indeed, that would be correct. Unfortunately it's the bastardised
version of that sentence that became famous some 40 years ago.

> > "Insure" and "ensure" mean two totally different things in British
> > English
>
> Same in American usage. I would consider "I want to insure that this
> car is insured" to be incorrect usage on the first "insure". Looks
> like American dictionaries are split on the issue:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/insure

If you look at that page closer, you'll see that it's only the American
Heritage Dictionary and WordNet that give "To make sure, certain, or
secure" (ie: ensure) as a meaning for "insure". They would indeed
appear to be in the minority.

The OED has this to say:

v. tr.
1) secure the payment of a sum of money in the event of loss or damage
to (property, life, a person, etc.) by regular payments or premiums
(insured the house for £100,000; we have insured against flood damage)
(cf. ASSURANCE)
2) of the owner of a property, an insurance company etc.) secure the
payment of (a sum of money) in this way.
3) (usu. foll. by /against/) provide for (a possible contingency)
(insured themselves against the rain by taking umbrellas)
4) /US/ = ENSURE

> Interesting to note that the etymology clearly shows a relationship,
> though:

True. It also has the same etymology as "assure" and "reassure", yet
they don't mean the same thing.

> [Origin: 1400–50; late ME; var. of ensure]
>
> Thus proving that language evolves. :)

QED!

> > Many people in Leftpondia use "attain" when they mean "obtain".
>
> I think this is bizspeak. When people try to sound "smart", they end
> up making all sorts of usage errors, hyper-correcting, and sounding
> generally pompous.

No wonder I don't like it :)

Read the series of a few comic strips as of here:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030310&mode=classic

> > We have to like it or lump it :(
>
> I vote lump it! ;)

I second that!

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Do molecular biologists wear designer genes?