Re: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] Correct particle to use

On 13/06/07, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

Crossposting to tlug@example.com removed - why it was crossposted in the
first place is beyond me since it was shifted to this list...

Well, since the thread was born on TLUG, it seemed wrong to completely relocate it.

But I am glad to report that this traffic has generated a few
subscriptions to Lingo, not least the Venerable Breen. ;)

For example, I was taught to not split infinitives (snicker)...

Oh hah hah.

"To go boldly where no one has gone before..."

"Insure" and "ensure" mean two totally different things in British
English but AFAICS they're interchangeable in American English. In the
UK, you insure your car. Or you ensure that it is insured.

Same in American usage. I would consider "I want to insure that this car is insured" to be incorrect usage on the first "insure". Looks like American dictionaries are split on the issue:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/insure

Interesting to note that the etymology clearly shows a relationship, though:

[Origin: 1400–50; late ME; var. of ensure]

Thus proving that language evolves. :)

Many people in Leftpondia use "attain" when they mean "obtain".

I think this is bizspeak. When people try to sound "smart", they end up making all sorts of usage errors, hyper-correcting, and sounding generally pompous.

The point is that languages evolve over time. What was dead wrong
yesterday may well be correct today, and what is correct today may be
frowned upon tomorrow.

We have to like it or lump it :(

I vote lump it! ;)

--