Re: tlug: Caldera Japanese version (Clearification)

    Marc> Hi ya all.  I just finished doing Q&A testing for the
    Marc> COL2.3J distribution.

Thanks for the information.  A couple of comments.

    Marc> The "install from MS Windows" option uses Partition Magic
    Marc> which does create only one main partition and a swap
    Marc> partition on a drive.

This is still a bad idea.  If the person really is a newbie, I can
more easily see them trashing their home directory the next time they
install.

    Marc> Under the hood, it's Linux as usual.

The hood matters.

    >> I'm beginning to think Caldera just doesn't get it.  Their
    >> "available to anybody no-redistribution beta" program including
    >> GPLed software, Windows-style "last OS you'll ever have the
    >> nerve to install" installers....

    Marc> I don't know what you're saying here.

Windows-style installers, you've confirmed.  It may be a good
marketing strategy to catch Windows users, and I suppose that's a good
thing.  But I won't recommend them to my mother (still a Windows user).

I apologize on the "beta" comment.  The incident I'm thinking of was
Corel (http://slashdot.org/articles/99/09/20/1051226.shtml), not
Caldera.  The erroneous linkage came partly because of the slight
similarity in names, and partly because the Corel beta was described
as a "Caldera-type `you rescind your rights' trick" in the post (not
TLUG) where I heard about that Corel beta.  I have no idea whether the
poster had anything to back up his accusation about closed Caldera
betas.

Caldera does have a history of distributing non-free stuff as part of
a Linux distribution (the name "Open Linux" is in part a response to
that, I suspect), but that was long ago in a galaxy far away, and has
nothing to do with current practices AFAIK.

    Marc> The PM packaged with OpenLinux is meant only for the install
    Marc> of Linux.

Oh, yeah, can I have a pointer to the Partition Magic sources?  I've
always been curious about why they're better than fdisk.

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691